Sunday, November 7, 2010

Turkish Delight-- Earrings!

When I was child we moved around a lot.  By the age of thirteen, I had lived in six different houses, in six different cities, and in four different states (South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Delaware).  Fortunately for me, I grew up in an era before personal computers and emails, where I got to learn the joys of a handwritten letter first hand: the rough texture of the card stock, the choice of a pretty stamp, the crooked handwriting that ambles over the page, and best of all, a dear friend's words.  I adore handwritten letters!
Photobucket
This lovely note came in the mail the other day from a friend I have only met once.  He had been charged by an overseas friend with the task of mailing these earrings to me.  Aren't they beautiful?
Photobucket

In case you want to get a pair for yourself, they are from Turkey.  I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else, but they were all over Istanbul when I was there last summer, and they're also quite inexpensive.  I had a red pair that were given to me by a shopkeeper in Ephesus (Selcuk) as a gift-- he was impressed by the few words of Turkish that I knew (Did you know that Aslan means lion in Turkish?).  I lost one of the earrings, and was delighted when my friend in Dubai offered to pick up for me a new pair while on his trip to Turkey.  That was six months ago, and now, thanks to Mack, Keren, Kirk, and the US Post Office, these beauties are finally home 

No comments: