Monday, October 27, 2008

Rainy Autumn Nights

It is a cold blustery evening in Delaware-- one of those nights that would otherwise be a perfectly crisp Autumn evening except that the rain is coming down in sheets and instead it is quite miserable. I don't really need an excuse, but this sort of weather makes for a great excuse for me to make my grand exit and head to the library. True, my activities here at my parent's house are generally limited to watching movies by myself, watching television with my family, sewing, knitting, or reading a book, but it is certainly a delight to escape to the library. Yes, it is a bit cliche, but my imagination really does take flight there. I particularly revel in the new book section (with NEW written in bold red letters on the spine of the book) where I can lovingly rub my fingers over pages that have rarely been turned replete with fresh black ink and stiff creamy pages.

Here's what I picked up:


I Wish I'd Been There, Book Two: European History
by: Byron Hollinshead & Theodore K Rabb

What it is about: Twenty historians answer the question, "What is the scene or incident in European history that you would like to have witnessed-- and why?" Essays range from the death of Alexander the Great to the German surrender ending WWII.

Why I'm interested: I'm a fan of history and thought I might learn some new facts about European history along the way.







Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners
by: Laura Claridge

What it is about: A biography of the unforgettable Emily Post, high priestess of manners.

Why I'm interested: As a southern-born American, I have been told that I should always endeavor to be a lady in whatever I do. I fail miserably, but it does not stop me from trying. I'm a bit intrigued to find out more about this charming lady and possibly to learn a few of her tricks.








William Wilberforce: The Life of the Great Anti-Slave Trade Campaigner
by: William Hague

What it is about: The biography of William Wilberforce, the 19th century activist who devoted twenty years of his life to fighting the abhorrent slave trade in England.

Why I'm interested: I have a great admiration for this man who devoted his life to fighting for something he believed in. I think there are parallels between the 19th-century fight against slavery and the 21st-century fight against abortion. Furthermore, Wilberforce was a man of great faith who succeeded in "placing principle above politics, mankind above party and results above ambition."


Red (The Circle Trilogy, Book 2)
by: Ted Dekker

What it is about: A man is stuck in two realities. In one, he is a respected military leader trying to deliver the outnumbered Forest People from calamity and in the other, he is working with the world's leaders to try and stop the release of the deadliest airborne virus ever created.

Why I'm interested: This book was recommended to me by a friend, and after reading the first installment, Black, I was hooked. I loved the alternating realities in the first book-- with pre-Fall paradise depicted in one (and an awesome Creator God with intimate relations with His Created) and post-Fall Earth where things look like what we're used to.

No comments: